Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Unacceptable Claim

Claim #1

"Being homeschooled - it's hard. You never know what to do."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqBNP7RPcC8&feature=related

Have you ever heard someone say that homeschoolers are antisocial? Let me tell you this is an initially unacceptable claim. I have grown up being homeschooled from kindergarten through senior year of high school. In this youtube video, it depicts homeschoolers as people who are unintelligent, cannot even spell "hi" and do not know how to start a conversation with someone of the opposite gender. Growing up being homeschooled and interacting with hundreds of other homeschooled families, I know that homeschooling is not hard in the sense of socializing.


Claim #2

Are students working on Sunday at the Cannon Center against the Honor Code? We all know everyone has to eat, but is it necessary to require people to work on Sundays?

5 comments:

  1. To your second claim, people do HAVE to eat at the Cannon Center, I am not positive but I heard that all the people staying in Helaman Halls do not have a kitchen so they have to have somewhere to eat. This brings the fact that someone has to provide the food. I do not believe it is against the honor code at all, but just fulfilling an obligation to the students who stay in Helaman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it possible that the Cannon Center could provide non-perishable food or food that does not have to be prepared necessary just on Sundays?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Emily that the Cannon Center could probably provide things that don't need to be prepared, but I think that having someone there working or supervising is going to inevitable. It just like saying that people should not get hurt or sick on Sunday because then someone would have to be working to help them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wondered about that. I think the idea of food that does not need preparation is a good idea, but you would still need people to put out that food and organize it and put it away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think people in the Cannon Center are working there for a good reason, to feed the people at Helaman Halls, so I don't think they're going against the Honor Code.

    ReplyDelete