Friday, September 11, 2009

Co-ed camping?

Everyone is looking for something fun to do over the weekend. Here in Utah, the possibilities are endless! Utah provides some great experiences, especially outdoor activities. For many college students camping is a favorite outdoor activity because it is cheap, fun, and can make lasting memories. However, camping contains the possibility of physical and sometimes even spiritual risks. The most common spiritual risk of co-ed camping is increased temptation of committing adultery, and increased risk of violation. The BYU Honor Code has addressed the issue of co-ed camping. Co-ed camping is not encouraged nor authorized by BYU. (http://honorcode.byu.edu/content/mixed-gender) I think that if BYU students 1. receive permission to co-ed camp, 2. have a minimum of two females and two males, and 3. live by housing hours, they can have a wonderful and safe camping experience.

The BYU Honor Code is something we as students are very blessed to live by. The Honor Code allows this campus to be enjoyable, peaceful, and spiritually uplifting. I think the Honor Code should be respected and observed to make this campus the most wanted place to be for college. In that regard, I think co-ed camping trips should receive permission from the Honor Code Office (HCO) to encourage the spiritual safety of all who participate.

Another key to spiritual and physical safety, is to have more than two people camping in one occasion. As the saying goes, "There is safety in numbers." To decrease risk of physical violation, co-ed camping can allow a cushion of safety and security for the females attending. Camping with male figures will decrease the probability of potential predators around a campsite. A counter argument may say that the male figures attending may also be the potential predators. I think that this would only be a problem if people are naive enough to go camping with people they don't trust.

8 comments:

  1. i think you have some good ideas, but why should they have to receive permission? just unneeded beauracracy if you ask me... every thing else seems solid though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The target audience is the Honor Code Office. I think that they want to have some sort of control over the students, even if just mild control. I think that is students are willing to ask permission to go camping together, then the Honor Code would be more willing to allow them to go camping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike Kendrick, I think that the comment about getting persission is good. You are trying to convince the Honor Code Office of your point of view. This shows that you are up for negotiations. I think it will help convince the office to agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I agree. As long as the students are open and honest about the situation, and have made apparent preparations to be safe, they should be fine. However, the Honor Code Office may just enforce more rules if they do allow co-ed camping, and rules are exactly what you're trying to get rid of, if I'm not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do believe all the rules here at BYU are meant to help us do good, and be good for something. Yes I dont agree with all of the rules just like anyone else, but as a religious university they are responsible to make those rules. You knew what you were getting into when you came to BYU so now you should take what you came for.
    I like the your editorial and I think it flows well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Emily here, just like everything else on the Honor Code...it is all left up to honor. As much as I would love to have permission to go co-ed camping, I think many students would end up skipping out on the process to ask for permission. Especially if they don't feel like they need permission in the first place; however, I do like that you lay ground rules for camping because it gives a more definite understanding about what should/could be expected of each individual when camping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not necessary trying to get rid of rules. I think that I am trying to change the rules for something better. Although it will require a small sacrifice on the student's part, by having to ask permission, have at least two males and two females, and also abiding by the visiting hours for housing, so 12 am during the week and 1:30 am during the weekends. (Meaning everyone in their tent by that time.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mindy and Emily I think it's very important for the students at BYU to obey the honor code, but to be honest I don't know every little part of the honor code and making specific rules won't really help the issue of co-ed camping. Many students, especially off-campus don't follow the honor code very closely, especially curfew. I don't think it's rebellion, but just laziness or lack of priority. I don't think adding more rules won't encourage living the honor code.

    ReplyDelete