Friday, September 4, 2009

Community Issues at BYU

  1. One thing my sophomore room mates were talking about was how they wish there was more parking. They all agreed that the parking situation was particularly frustrating during the winter, when it is troublesome to walk in the snow. Some of the comments were concerning the incredibly small ratio of parking spots to students.
  2. One perspective that I would like to change about BYU is that Provo is home to all the jack Mormons. I have always heard slants on the big city and how kids want to go to Provo because there is less oversight and ruling. When I think that Provo has a lot to offer and non of our acceptances were based on the opportunity to rebel.
  3. Along with the parking situation, I have heard rumors that there are not enough bike racks. Some opinions is that BYU administration should spend less on sports programs and more on facilities (preferably bike racks) that are for the majority of the student population.
  4. The cougar eat is too expensive and some complaints have been made that their are no healthy choices.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with the parking issue. It is only going to get worse as winter comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen on the no healthy choices!!! You have to really search for the healthy foods. And once you find them, BAM! No date on the weekend cuz you had to spend on your money on food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it interesting that you mentioned something about the way that BYU spends their money... I was talking with one of the assistant basketball coaches who does not have a very good salary and who told me that one day he was walking by the Marriott center and saw some guys landscaping there. He asked how much the rocks had cost (there are some huge decorative rocks lining the sidewalk on the south side of the Marriott Center). When he was told that BYU had spent $20,000 on some big rocks, he was shocked! "Why not pay the employees a little more instead?" he wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true! Even more catastrophic is that worry that eating the unhealthy food will cause weight gain, and then BAM! No date regardless of money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the parking situation. I have to drive to school early so that I can have the chance to a close parking spot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessie, WOW! I had no idea! I mean I had seen a lot of landscaping work going on, too, but $20,000?! That's a little extreme. I agree, our professors and coaches are already underpaid by choosing to work here because BYU wants to be more affordable, but wasting money on rocks instead of compensating educators for their hard work doesn't make any sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another WOW!I don't mean to judge considering this is an amazing establishment, and we are all lucky to be here. But we all have diverse priorities, I guess, some people really appreciate the twenty-thousand dollar rock?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parking is a hassle, I wonder what would happen if they assigned parking?

    ReplyDelete