Wednesday, September 9, 2009

(initially) unacceptable claims

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705328494/Letters-Wars-save-lives.html

1. "Wars saves lives." This is a short opinion article which talks about the necessity of war. Just in the title one would say that is an ironic claim, but then looking in history we can see how that is true. I wouldn't say I am "pro war," but I also believe is necessary. (Example: The Book of Mormon) I would also argue that war is never necessary when it is not a commandment from God . It is difficult in the world we live in today to know when God would want war and when He would not want war. It's easy for us to say after the fact whether or not it was a good idea (example WWII: good idea, Vietnam war: not so good idea), but what about before we make the decision. That is the difficult part.

2. Where did all the parking go? Many have commented on the parking at BYU and even I have complained about it, but I feel there will be complaints no matter what the solution is. Many people don't like how far away the "Y" lots are, but if the campus takes up several blocks, where do we expect the parking to go? Around the perimeter. And where would enough parking lots go to fill the need for thousands of students? Do we need to start building multi-level parking lots? I just feel like it's a lost cause unless someone wants to become an engineer and provide some amazing solution.

5 comments:

  1. How about this... BYU holds a sweet competition for all the engineering majors - who can design the best parking garage... then one would get built and the person who came up with the winning model would be awarded a permanent parking spot in the most convenient place in the structure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm a little confused. From your post it seems like you have a complaint, and although "claim" is in "complaint", I can't seem to find one in yours. (Ohhhhhh, bad joke i know, but i thought it was somewhat clever? idk much love Emily I just couldnt resist because you included the word complaint in your post and I thought to myself, "whoa claim is in complaint maybe I can work with this) I suppose you are saying that parking is a lost cause and we should all just settle for what's given to us as opposed to hopelessly trying to get something about it. In that case, I would say that there is always a way to improve a situation. As long as people keep complaining about parking. Something will eventually be done about it, and in the future BYU will have better means to accommodate more cars.

    Ms. Cowley I hope this counts as an acceptable comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too bad that they don't teach structural engineering at BYU. Then a student designed project might be pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessie I really like that idea... I've never thought of it that way before. A contest would be perfect- we would have a cool-looking structure, AND more parking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jessie. love it! And Josh it was a little late when I was posting my blog. But yes the claim would be to stop "complaining" about parking. initially unacceptable since we all love to complain right? and it is frustrating. But is there really any way possible to provide a parking stall for every student that has a vehicle.

    ReplyDelete