Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Opinion Editorial

Let's face it, riding a motorcycle or moped isn't as safe as driving in a car. In a car you have airbags, seat belts, and the whole vehicle that covers you, but when riding a motorcycle/moped you have very limited ways to keep you safe , and one of them is protective headgear, another words helmets.
I'm not from Utah, I'm from California where the helmet law is in forced. In Utah however I've noticed that people usually don't wear helmets, and it came as a surprise to me, because I'm thinking, "They're gonna get a ticket." When I didn't see anyone get a ticket, I thought to myself, " The helmet law isn't a big deal here? People drive crazy! They'll fly everywhere if they crash."
So, I went online and figured out that in Utah, you're suppose to wear a helmet in the highway, and they didn't mention anywhere else. Which brings me to the conclusion that they should change the helmet law. Its obvious that most drivers here like to speed and tailgate. It was even mentioned in the Utah Drivers Handbook, that speeding and following closely (percentage wise) is the top two reasons why people crash. If they change the helmet law, it will increase the riders chance of surviving in one of these common crashes, and protect them.

2 comments:

  1. I realize laws need to be enforced to protect people, but when it isn't going to affect anyone but you shouldn't it be left up to the individual? Speed limits have to be there because they affect those around you, but helmets only affect the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Emily. Essentially, it comes down to the individual's choice whether or not he/she will wear a helmet.

    ReplyDelete