Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Song Analysis

The song that i picked to analyze is Fireflies by Owl City. This song I believe has a lot to do with the fact that the song writer and singer Adam Young has insomnia. He says a lot of his songs are written when he can not sleep at night. I think the line "I'd like to make myself believe That planet Earth turns slowly" means that he wish time would stop or go slower so that he could actually have time to sleep and dream like any regular kid. Maybe he feels like because of his insomnia he is not having the same kind of experiences during sleep (dreams) that other kids are able to have.
Throughout the whole song he refers to dreams and the chorus is trying to make himself believe that the earth turns slowly so that his childhood is not wasting away. The sentence "It's hard to say that I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep 'Cause everything is never as it seems" emphasises the fact that he would rather be asleep then awake, maybe he believes that when he is asleep time will stop so his childhood will not waste away, and also the fact that his dreams are so fun he would rather live in that world than the real one.
I believe that the overall theme of the song would be telling everyone that you should enjoy your childhood now while you have it and do not waste any time that you have now. Also that we should follow the dreams we may have because they are what make life fun and worth living.

4 comments:

  1. I think we all would wish at some point that time would stop or slow down, but since it can't... we must enjoy it while we can. Seems like a good song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that we have all wished for time to stop or slow down. But there are times that we all would like to relive or have over again. Moving forward is what brings the love for the things that have pasted us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corinne, I agree with you... I'm always ready to get on with things and go have new adventures! I don't really understand OWL CITY because if I was an insomniac, I would want the night to fly by so I could start the next day with all of my friends who sleep all the time :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Corinne, I dont think the song was necesarilly saying that everyone has wished for time to stop, just that he wanted it to, so that he could have more time like everyone else has.

    ReplyDelete