Thursday, September 24, 2009

Grace Kelly

Grace Kelly
By: Mika

The catchy song "Grace Kelly" is one of the most popular songs from the group Mika. The lead singer Paul Smith apparently wrote this song when he was mad over a record label dispute. He was denied the record label he wanted and was forced to conform to the wants of the industry, as evident by the line, "Should I bend over. Should I look older just to be put on the shelf".
This song is Paul expressing his anger through music and lyrics. He then goes on to say, "I can be brown, I can be blue, I can be violet sky, I can be hurtful, I can be purple, I can be anything you like". He is willing to change and is still confused as to why the music industry wont accept him, "Why dont cha like me, why dont cha like me?" Paul uses a very effective form of rhetoric to share his message. He shares his emotions and thoughts in music.
Grace Kelly is hard to understand if you dont know the meaning of his lyrics, or the point he is trying to make. In that sense his rhetoric is not effective because it would be confusing to the common listener. But overall Grace Kelly is a very fun to listen and sing along to.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I love Mika. I never knew the reason behind this song, but it does make sense and I think it's really cool. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked this song because I often feel like I adapt to my situation to please others but the way MIKA sings it, about colors and "why don't cha like me" makes the demands of others seem outrageous. I think a common tactic for people who are upset and trying to justify themselves is to put down the opposition, which MIKA effectively does by saying, as you highlighted, "should I bend over", and all those colors, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessie, I actually thought that the way the song was song showed that the singer was desperate to do anything outrageous to please whomever is to be pleased. Boy do I feel dumb now because your reasoning makes way more sense than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I know is when I first heard this song, I laughed my head off because I thought it was so good and funny. Now when you look at it from the point of view that he was mad at the time of writing the song it makes it even better because it somewhat connects you to the song. Everyone has those feelings once or twice in their lives, so you connect.

    ReplyDelete