Thursday, September 10, 2009

Opinion Editorial

The other day I was sitting in my biology class, watching the minutes tick down until class was over.  When there were only a few minutes left, I started packing up my backpack, as many other students did as well.  The guy sitting next to me turned to me with a disgusted look on his face and said "Why is everyone packing up?! There are still three minutes left of class!" This made it very awkward for me, as I knew that even though he said "everyone" he was hinting that he meant me.  He then went on to explain to me how rude that was to do to the teacher.  Again, very awkward.  However, I wasn't doing it because I had no respect for the teacher, I didn't mind the class, it was engaging. The only reason I did it was because I was worried about getting to my next class on time, as it was all the way across campus. Don't worry, I do recognize that this is rude to do to any professor, which only adds to my dilemma.  
I know that I wouldn't have this problem if I could ride my bike to each class, rather than parking it out of the way for the day, and walking to each class.  The obvious reason this isn't allowed on campus is safety- there would be many pedestrian-rider accidents.  However, there is a simple solution for all of that. Bike lanes on the sidewalks at campus.
The sidewalks are plenty big enough as it is.  It wouldn't be too much of an adjustment to just add two lines to the sidewalk- one to distinguish between pedestrians and riders, and one for each direction of bikes.  If the university added bike lanes on the sidewalks between buildings, students wouldn't be the only ones to benefit; professors would have a smaller number of late students, and students wouldn't be so anxious to go at the end of class.

4 comments:

  1. that's actually an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that before. might be something to look into. I'd be interested to see how you develop this further. the snag that I see coming is would that create the need for crosswalks on our sidewalks? a biker needs to turn but a pedestrian needs to go straight, who has the right of way? things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an experience similar to the one you had. It is true that it is disrespecful, but can we really help that we have to get to a class on the other side of campus in ten minutes. What will happen when winter comes and we have to walk in the snow and ice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you incorporate an understanding of the teacher's needs to finish their lecture, and the student's needs to get to class on time. It becomes an interesting argument at maturity level that makes the reader (at least me) want to know what your idea for a solution is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see some problems with your solution. What about the sidewalks that aren't big enough for bike lanes. Do we expand them? I know that the sidewalk between the Eyring Science Center and the Kimball Tower is always crowded with people between classes and there really isn't enough room to expand there. What would you do then?

    ReplyDelete