Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Piano Man by Billy Joel

The song I picked is "Piano Man" by Billy Joel. I think the main point of this song is to realize how powerful music can be. Songs can bring back memories. That certain feeling you had at Prom dancing with your date comes back when you hear it again. This song is about all the different kinds of people all with their different problems and different lives coming together to relive those good memories. The "Piano Man" coincides with people's lives. Even though everyone's lives are completely different, we all have problems and seek some way to relieve ourselves through music.
"Piano Man" relates to normal, everyday people, like the waitress, real estate, navy man, and old hobo who lives at the bar. It has the lyrics, "When I was..." and "If only..." "Probably will be for life." Each one of us has our dreams crushed at least once in our life. We all have regrets. "If only..." is applicable - it hits our emotions. The lyrics of the song help us imagine what our life would be, if we really had no life, without a decent job, poor family, and turning towards drinking for relief. We would turn to the "Piano Man" to bring back our happy days.

2 comments:

  1. Reminiscing about the past is pretty cool to do once and a while, and even though I'm only 18 I still have a lot of regrets in my life. I'll definitely enjoy listening to this song next time I go off reflecting on the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, it's so true. Music is most often what stimulates my reflection on past events. Sometimes it's really cool to look back on the happy moments, but on the other hand it can evoke sadness or regret, like you said, when it comes to our least favorite memories.

    ReplyDelete