Thursday, September 10, 2009

Opinion Editorial

I know that every single person has their own perspective and live different realities. News flash! Not everybody is in the same financial situation as the next person.For that reason, I strongly believe that tuition at BYU should stay at the price that we pay for it today. In my case, I didn't have a college savings fund or have my parents pay my tuition in full which is also the case of many. Even at the price it is today, I know that there are students who come from humble backgrounds and struggle to make ends meet even with financial aid.

I believe that by keeping in mind that faithful members whom pay for a big portion of our tuition helps us become better. For me to be seen as an investment to the church is a privilege. It makes me want to be like a sponge and absorb all the great things I learn and live them. Not waste my time.Since the affordability of BYU allows more students to come, more students will be able to be of good influence and contribute to society.

The price of attendance matters. I know that BYU is a great institution and is worth much more than what we pay for being here. But increasing tuition would put a strain on students that wish to attend this institution. Let me get to the point that some of us just can't afford more

6 comments:

  1. You raise great points as to why tuition costs should stay the same. However you only bring up committed students who see learning in this institution as a privilege in your defense. How do you argue against the wealthier people who come to this college and don't take advantage of the opportunities presented to them? BYU is one of the cheaper colleges, so there are a lot more people who are worse off in terms of loans that they've received and debts after college. As important as education is, there are people who are living in a state of poverty or are only slightly better off. It would be great if your tuition was based on your income, but that would obviously never work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh I'm going to be a Devil's advocate --- ivy league schools recently adopted a policy where families are expected to contribute a certain percentage of their income to their student's tuition cost based on their financial bracket, and those are pretty smart schools who seem to know what they're doing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay well maybe that would work... ha. But it the fact remains that BYU is one of the cheaper colleges. My tuition for the ifrst fours of college is less than some of my friends tuition for one year! It makes sense to bump up the tuition costs, so at least some of the funding form the church goes to important places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for bring up that point Josh. I need to address that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessie thanks for mentioning that. I didn't know that existed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the tuition is unique, and something that sets BYU apart from every other private school. I like the price, and its fun to brag about it.

    ReplyDelete