Monday, September 7, 2009

BYU campus issues

  • Campus police
  • Crowd control
  • Indoor practice facility (IPF)
  • Bike racks
  • Approved campus housing


Focus: Indoor practice facility

I am a soccer player and enjoy practicing and improving my touch. The indoor practice facility is a large building wherein I could practice, but it's not available for students free use. The indoor practice facility was constructed a few years ago and was funded by tuition and tithing paid by the students and members of the church. I am not sure why, as my tuition and tithing helped fund the production, I am not allowed to use it. If I could change something about BYU I would open the indoor practice facility for students use.


Focus: Bike racks

Many students at BYU use a bike as means of transportation, for many students this is because they cannot afford a car. I myself ride a bike to class so that I can arrive on time, but there is a lack of space to rack your bike. BYU teachers and administrators need to make sure that there is enough space for their students to rack their bikes. If I could change if I could change something about BYU I would add more bike racks so that students could arrive to their classes on time and have a faster means of transportation.


Focus: Approved campus housing

In order for students to attend BYU they need to be housed in approved campus housing. For many students living on campus and off-campus this means you live within a 1 mile radius of the school. Because our family will have a student at BYU for the next 12 years we have looked into buying an apartment. This apartment is located no more than four blocks in the school, but it's not BYU approved. The apartment has been well kept, it's in a good part of Provo, and is part of a good singles Ward. Yet it's still not campus approved housing. If I could change one thing about BYU, I would change their approved campus housing policy.

2 comments:

  1. It does seem to be a pain to find exactly the kind of housing you want. I was also confused as to why an approval makes a difference. But, this is BYU and I guess we are asked to do things even if they are a silly pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to your comment Maressa, I understand as well. But it is a big pain to secure housing, let alone BYU approved housing. Although in the end it's probably a good idea, because BYU approves their housing for a reason. Unfortunately that reason raises the cost of living for students.

    ReplyDelete