Thursday, September 24, 2009

Song Analysis

"Best Day" By Taylor Swift

In her song "Best Day", it's obvious what Taylor Swift is signing about and why she wrote it. The whole song is about the relationship she has with her dad. Taylor goes through different times of her life. The song starts when she if five, then 13, signing about how mean her friends were to her. In the middle of the song she sings about her little brother and how she grew up in such a happy atmosphere. The song ends with where she is today, and she basically thanks her father for all he's done for her, and her telling him she had "the best day" with him "today".

This song is so great because at many times during the song, I can remember specific instances with my own dad where he did the same exact same thing for me. The song invokes the same feelings I had when I was five years old, riding home in the car from soccer practice with my dad, having the "best day" simply because I was with him. And when she sings about being 13, I totally remember feeling unsure of myself but having my dad there to tell me junior high doesn't last forever.

I'm sure for many people this causes the same types of feelings that it did for me. It makes the song more meaningful to me because it is another girl signing it, and I know exactly what she is talking about. If I heard a song that a guy sings that is about his dad, I'm sure I would appreciate it, but this song brings that appreciation to a whole new level, since I can relate with it so well.

7 comments:

  1. Just thought I'd let you know that song is about her mom. "Daddy's smart and you're the pretty lady in the whole wide world."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how Taylor Swift's songs can easily appeal to teenagers--girls in particular--because she's just a girl at heart, behind all the fame and fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this song, its so cute. It makes me miss my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsay, perhaps the pretty lady was her other dad??

    Kidding, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When a female singer sings a song, it is much easier for girls to connect because we already have one thing in common.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I know is that I love the songs by Taylor because of the fact that she sings about real life things. Even though I am not a girl, so I can not really connect with some of the songs she sings so well, I appreciate the fact that some singers will actually sing about things that are really important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this song. It just has such a feel-good vibe and it'll put me in a better mood any day, anytime. Her lyrics always flow and her music always matches her tone, which makes her music that much more pleasing to the ear. Almost anyone can sing, but Tayler truly has musicianship down to an art (no pun intended haha).

    ReplyDelete