Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cake Wreckers

After looking at a couple different sites to analyze, I decided to go with the "cake wreckers" one. Although the other ones were somewhat interesting, I was instantly laughing when I looked at the cake wreckers blog. The author obviously has a great sense of humor. In order for her humor to be effective, though, her readers need to either share her same sense of humor or have one that is similar in order to appreciate this text. The blog, I believe, is meant for women, from late teens on. This is evident from the pictures on the site, from the author's book signings. There are lots of women who participate in her cake wrecking competitions.
The author obviously shares a more intimate relationship with her readers, than say, J.K. Rowling does with her readers. I think the reason for this is simply that J.K. Rowling has millions of readers all over the world, while the author of the cakes site is based in basically just the US, more just in Maine. She has only done one book signing so far, while I'm sure Rowling has done hundreds, if not thousands by this time. From this text, you can tell that the author knows her audience well and is directing her writing to a more specific group. Rather than trying to conform to what she believes an audience wants, she freely shares her thoughts and has the readers come to her.

4 comments:

  1. yeah, that's interesting, she doesn't go after a particular audience, she's creating an audience of people that appreciate the kind of humor she puts out. very confident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendrick, I like your comment... it's good to recognize that the audience will be those who share the author's sense of humor. On Tuesday, I checked this blog out because I thought it sounded the most interesting from the list we got in our email, but I didn't find it funny at all and so I don't count myself as part of the intended audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that the reader can just write what she thinks onto her blog and posts pictures so we can see what she is talking about, and is pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. Jessie your comment made me laugh. Let me know when you start a website...perhaps I'll be that intended audience of yours.

    ReplyDelete