Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The horrors of real life....

I am not going to lie, I was having a pretty difficult time finding an article that was appropriate, especially in waiting till the last minute to do this; however, I think I might have found one that's applicable.

Here is the article/video all on one page http://www.newswest9.com/Global/story.asp?S=11016569.

DISCLAIMER: the video is pretty graphic, showing an accident caused by teen intextication. It shows the blood and gore of what it would be like.

This article is a news report on the negative affects of driving and talking on a cell phone at one time. Mostly why I think this starts out as a negative claim is because it is targeted towards a younger audience, who out of everyone, seems to be the least interested in this issue. Although I support what this article is saying, I think it does enter into the extreme end of the argument right at the beginning by saying if you text on your phone death IS imminent. Also, despite much of the warnings and law changing that has been happening to make the roads safer, people still text while driving. I am not going to lie, I do it every once in awhile, even when I know it's illegal.

PART 2:

With all of the costs prevalent in attending college, who wants the stress of moving and packing in the final weeks of school, let alone to start off the new year. Wouldn't it be more cost efficient for everyone to live in the dorms for all four years that way we could avoid worries about parking all over campus because it's in walking distance, clumped fees for housing, where is the bad in staying put?

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you o the dorms issue, I've had that same thought myself recently. However, where would we put all those dorms? Imagine how many dorms that would be, to be enough to house ALL BYU students...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking that earlier too, but then I thought about how others schools were doing it too. What I figure is the option for off campus could still be there, but let on campus be the main form of housing in stead of a mad dash to get out of there. I mean, I wonder how much money the school could get from students staying there to help with costs and maintenance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other night my dad had to show his five daughters some video about a man in jail because he caused an accident while texting. I have to admit i probably text in the car more than a should, but is eating in the car any less distracting? why don't they make it illegal to eat, put on make-up, or listen to music. Finding songs on your iPod? Sounds just as dangerous to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy brings an interesting point. Imagine how much money could be freed up in the budget if some of the maintenance was paid by dorm payments...

    ReplyDelete