Friday, September 4, 2009

Ideas for Writing

I don't like the idea of grading on a curve. I understand that it something that happens at college. My problem is that instead of being judged based on your abilities, you're graded in comparisson with other students.

There was an article in the BYU newspaper yesterday about the Freshman 15'. With all of the stress being put on obesity from the outside world, tthat seems to be the only action BYU is taking. This is the first semester that BYU has not required PE classes for all students. They don't offer terribly healthy options at the food court. I'm surprised that BYU doesn't seem to care about the nationwide issue.

I have a problem with being used as an experiment. We are paying money to be taught, not to be used to educate teachers. The majority of my classes are being taught by grad students or senior undergrads. I wish more classes were taught by professors.

I wish that the BYU honor code was more public and understood by "outsiders". I live in the mission field and a lot of my friends think that BYU is too trusting. They don't understand the respect given to the Honor Code by almost all students.

10 comments:

  1. Do you realize our teacher is a grad student?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these issues! The one about the freshman 15 is completely valid. And at the same time you gotta cut BYU a break because if someone chooses not to exercise there is not a whole lot BYU can do about it... They provide the classes for people to take soo.

    Also, I agree about the teachers. Even if they aren't grad students I feel like we are being "tested" on so they can figure out their curriculum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay, I agree with your comment about the Freshman 15. That's one of the reasons why I didn't get a meal plan, it's just too hard to stay healthy! At an LDS university, where the word of wisdom is encouraged, you would think that students wouldn't have to avoid the school's main food providers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you think about it, how do professors become professors? They start off as grad students. They dont just "poof" I'm a professor. They start off new and then they gain experience. What do you want, do you never want to be in charge of anything when you first get a job?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tannen, I totally agree. They need practice, and most of them are already well versed in what they're teaching. I mean they just BARELY learned the stuff that they're trying to communicate with us, and they have a fresh, younger perspective. I like the idea of having a smaller age gap between the teacher and I.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Katie on liking the smaller age gap between the teacher and student. This is going to work out better for both of them because they can see things in a more similar way. They understand better where the other is coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Tannen and Katie10, I think that it is a cool opportunity to be taught by someone younger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, I also am hoping that the age difference will make the learning easier. I know that the older the teacher the more they usually dont understand our day. No offense to them but sometimes I think they want us to live in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our teacher seems to know what she is doing but some of my other grad student teachers have absolutely no idea. They are basically making it up as they go. What happened to being an expert on the subject before you get paid to teach someone else what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess it goes to the whole "practice makes perfect." Do we expect them to just teach fake people til they get it "right?"

    ReplyDelete