Thursday, September 10, 2009

Where are the priorities?

Every Tuesday afternoon, at precisely ten forty-five, students and faculty across BYU scamper around campus herding themselves towards the Marriot center and other internet accessible locations. Any other visitor to the Brigham Young University campus would be suprised to find out that by ten forty-five all stores, facilities, information desks, and even classes campus wide have fully shut down their services. So why does BYU campus shut all of this down? For the wonderful weekly devotional/forum. Here students can be uplifted, enlightened, or even just be taking a break from their classes.
Originally as a student here at BYU I thought wow, what a great thing for a university to do, especially one that is religiously affiliated like this one. I am not trying to down on devotional because I do love to go, and if you don't you should :) but here's my dilemma. This semester I started a new job for the same people I worked for last year, nothing extravagant, just a desk job; however, I am employed by BYU. Thinking I wouldn't have to worry about scheduling for work, I still got stuck working on Sunday. Although we do rotate our schedules so we don't work EVERY Sunday, it makes me wonder how the entire University can be shut down for a devotional or forum but other places can't be shut down on Sunday when it's most important.
How does BYU get away with making students work on Sundays where they can be most uplifted at church, especially when one of the main extensions of this school is the LDS church (where members are actually asked to not work on Sundays.) Can they figure out a way to shut down places on campus that stay open on Sundays, just like they shut down EVERYTHING for devotional?

4 comments:

  1. HAHA, i never noticed that, way to go, i like the idea (sorry the comment isn't very helpful, just had to get that out there)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a good claim at maturity, and it would be helpful to your argument to find out if BYU put out an official statement about why certain things are open on Sundays or why everything shuts down for Devotionals... then you could pick it apart and argue your point with more researched information... people have probably had beef with this policy: what, if anything, has the University done to appease them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks! I like that idea a lot. I will look for sure.

    ReplyDelete