Thursday, September 10, 2009

Opinion Editorial: H1N1 virus

Do you have a fever, cough, sore throat, or nasal congestion? Are you experiencing any body aches, headaches, and tiredness or vomiting? Well have no fear you only have the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu. I think this is ridiculous. This new virus that has come out is being blown way out of proportion. Everyone is freaking out thinking that they are going to get the swine flu because their best friend’s cousin twice-removed boyfriend’s aunt’s sister’s niece had symptoms of swine flu. It doesn’t make sense that everyone is so concerned over a virus that is not even as bad as the regular flu. In the Daily Universe on September 9, 2009 there is an article where a Dr. Willmore says, “Even though the swine flu is getting a lot more press, if you compare the two illnesses [swine flu and the regular flu], you get much sicker patients and a lot more deaths with the regular flu.” It is amazing how the media can affect how everyone behaves and what everyone believes.
I recently went on a trip to Mexico and when I got back the first thing people asked me was “Do you have swine flu?” Really? People are overreacting to everything that is coming out. There were schools in my area that got completely shut down and Proms canceled because there was a possible case of swine flu. And even more, my friend’s mom almost died last December when she came down with what doctors told her was just the regular flu. Where were all of the precautions and warnings about getting the regular flu? Why weren’t people going through extra steps to not give or pass-along the regular flu?

11 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you Corinne. I think it's simoply comical how hyped-up this situation has become. However, and I hate to say this because I'm just as cynical as you, if the BYU administration, which is led by the inspiration of the prophet, is concerned enough to send out an e-mail and put it on the BYU home page, then could we all be a little too skeptical?
    Maybe find a way to explain the administration's actions concerning the swine flu. For example, they want to calm the fears of worried parents, and they'd rather communicate electronically than receive hundreds of angry and irritated phone calls. Something like that, just to cover your bases. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your introduction especially the first paragraph. I'm not entirely sure who your audience is. It seems a little like your up on a soapbax talking to anyone who will listen. Maybe try to focus your ideas more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a great point saying how much effect the media has on everyone. The swine flu doesn't even have to do with swine, but the news shows people killing pigs in foreign countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In your paper you might want to show the differences between the swin flu and the regular flu. That would help show which is more dangerous and maybe even show how absurd it is to be freaking out about the swine flu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the flow of your essay and how you have a comparison between the regular flu and the swine flu.I agree that the media has made the swine flu sound much worst than it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you Tannen. Showing a difference could lead the audience to think more open-mindedly about the two flus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your audience is a little unclear. I agree with you about everyone being too concerned about this flu but you need to target your specific audience better throughout the essay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great introduction (but I do think an aunt's sister is still an aunt.)
    The swine flu and how much it has been blown out of proportion is ridiculous.
    Did you have fun in Mexico :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Tannen for pointing that out, I didn't even think of that.
    I had a blast in Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your introduction. You should consider the effects of swine flu in the dorms. We as freshman crammed into the dorms could spread this virus quickly and it could have some negative effects. You could contrast both arguements.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that they made a big deal of the H1N1 Flu so people could pay less attention to the economy. I also think people tend to overreact when something is put out on the media that will affect their health.

    ReplyDelete