Friday, September 4, 2009

1. The heated rivalry between Utah and BYU is pretty bit intense, and personally I think that the rivalry is a little too intense. Competition is great but when you actually create real hatred between schools that is never a good thing.
2. I have read many articles on the deseret news and other news websites in Utah and have seen that people do not like BYU at all. I have seen that one of the main reasons for that is that other poeple believe that people who go to BYU are stuck up Mormons who think they are better than everyone else. And from comments from BYU people I see that that is in some extent true, why do we have to think that we are better just because we are at BYU?
3. The police here on campus are a little too strict in what they do, I have seen a number of people get stopped by them because they are riding on bikes when they are not supposed to while in fact the only reason they were able to stop the rule breaker was because they were also on bikes. Why is it that they should be able to ride bikes if it is so dangerous for us to?
4. Going into the third one a little bit, why can students not ride bikes between passing hours to get from one side of the campus to another, campus can not have it both ways in my opinion. Either they want us to be on time or they dont want us to ride bikes and supposedly be more safe. I think they should take the bike rule away. Just my opinion.

6 comments:

  1. Tannen, I don't necessarily agree with your first point. I think it's great that there's such great passion in school rivalries that feelings resembling hate come up. Where's the fun if we are civil and kind to our rivals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must agree with the thing about how the police are too strict. I had an experience just last night. I was in a parking lot and had some people who stopped on their motorcycles to talk to us. The police then drove by our parking lot 10-15 times just to watch us. Isn't that being stereotypical?

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's nothing wrong with passion Josh, but when it comes to immature insults and threats, not fun anymore. I'm all for passion in a rivalry, but why does that mean we can't go out for pizza afterward?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendrick, very good point. Even if there is a rivalry, hate is never needed or wanted. For #2, I totally agree with Tannen. Though, there are people who remain humble about getting into this school. Although, there are some, that I've seen, rub it in, even to their friends. It's great how we all got into BYU, and yes it is a great place for Mormons, but the expectation is that BYU generates people who would contribute to society, not look down on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh, it is not just feelings that RESEMBLE hate. The feelings people feel are hate, and last time I checked that is not an emotion you should be having. I know exactly how emotions are in sports because I play them all the time, and competition is one of the best things in the world. It is what keeps us going every day, or at least me. But we should not have time in our lives for hate. The rivalry used to be great because of the passion it generated, but the things I have read, heard and seen are just too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Kendrick, we should have good sportsmanship, and in the end its just a game!

    ReplyDelete