Saturday, October 3, 2009

Tore me a new one....

So I put my article (part of it anyway) just up on facebook as a note. I tagged a bunch of people I know that are also planning on going into the medical field (my paper was about how a national health care plan would negatively affect doctors and their ability to pay off student loans in a reasonable amount of time). A lot of people agreed with it and gave good feed back. One person absolutely destroyed me though... haha. They knew a lot more about the new plan than I did and tore apart a lot of my data. Not that he changed my opinion, but he made some of my evidence irrelevant. It was an interesting experience. I've always written my paper for the grade, but when you are going to publish it there is so much more at stake. In a sense you reputation is at stake. All it takes is one person to be smarter than you and disagree for you to feel dumb... haha. Good times... good times...

9 comments:

  1. You have a good point about the whole reputation thing... I was about to publish my paper on facebook too, but I didn't feel like dealing with the oddball fanatic that can completely discredit your arguments. It's way different when the only person reading your work is the person who grades it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I know exactly how you feel with your comment about that one person who knows more than you about your subject can make you feel dumb. I was in debate and if you were not prepared at competitions you felt like a complete fool. But then again it also feels somewhat good to do that to other people too. You just got to make sure you know what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean concerning that one guy who always has to make you look like an idiot. It makes you realize that there's always going to be at least 1 person that knows about your subject more than you do. But it's a good thing. It helps you remember that you can always improve and work harder at producing more effective counter-arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that when publishing a paper, you tend to take the research a whole lot more seriously. I would feel really dumb if I published my paper and I was totally wrong on my facts. I found that my research was lacking also. Next time I think I will spend more time in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh don't you hate knowing that there is always someone out there smarter than you, and then you want to get all sad about it and then you realize there is someone out there that has it worse off than you....Isn't life unfair? haha I think this project has definitely given me a whole new respect for those authors that do put themselves out there! I always wondered why they didn't just breeze through writing a new book, and why it took some authors years to do it...now I know:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mindy-- I thought about that too! About authors taking forever to publish but I guess if you're a big name, you're going to want to get everything right before you publish something "in real life"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think there is always going to be someone out there who disagrees with you and they will stop at nothing to try and bring you down. It is amazing how some people just want to put others ideas down rather than using constructive criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's a inferiority complex I think... haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Corrine, it's because the people who put down other ideas want to boost their own credibility and want to seem smarter.

    ReplyDelete