Friday, October 30, 2009

So far..

Part one: On e of the things that surprised me on my research so far is that people that watch less T.V. are more likely to read a book than those that watch more T.V. Another thing that surprised me was that people who have books displayed or around are more likely than those that don’t to read.
Part two: New media gives students tools for them to learn, and they develop other skills that they might not have developed. New media on the other hand, is has created for more leisure activities. Now as students enter their teenager years, they are more likely to substantially reduce reading activities and spend their time on blogs, networking, and playing video games.
Part three:
Cause/effect: Because students are reading less, this is going to impact many sectors of life. Reading scores will decrease and so will literacy.
Statistics: Younger students are more likely to read than teenagers and new media is a big portion of that gap.
Authority: I want to find something for the department of Education that states the importance of reading and what difference it can and will make in the future.
Testimonial: I have been reading from and CQ Research article that teachers need new media because that is what the modern world is dependent on and it is a form of literacy.

8 comments:

  1. To me it makes a lot of sense that those who watch t.v. would not read as much as those who do not. There is that much more time for them to have the chance to read. Plus many people in our society believe that it is much more fun to watch t.v. than to read books. Though in my opinion that is not true at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you just talking about reading books, or reading in general? If it's reading in general. I would think that reading would stay the same, or even increase through the internet. One can find things to read about anything quickly. I can honestly stayed glued to my screen for quite some time just reading about things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you can get as much from a computer then you can on a book, because a book is in your hands you can write on it takes notes. To me new media is mostly summarizes the book for you and takes the value away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From my own experience I may read while on the internet doing various things...but it's usually pointless reading. Then again just because you read a book doesn't mean it's beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh I am talking about reading books and I agree that we skim through information a lot on the internet. Melissa I agree, reading books and reading on the internet are not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's true Emily. I think that many of us do pointless readings when we want to get distracted, but I think that we do it more on the internet just because it is easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the comment that it is more fun and better to read books, but society is changing in that books are old media. We are slowly moving towards a society that uses new media for educating and entertaining our minds. I do agree that reading is important but I believe that the world is slowly moving away from printed materials and more towards internet and other new media mediums to present information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Josh, Why would reading increase if people were watching t.v. either way? Even if the reading were on the internet, they are spending their time watching t.v. and not reading anything.

    ReplyDelete