Thursday, October 29, 2009

Discoveries in Research

I don't know if this is the type of 'surprise' the prompt is looking for, but I didn't know how easy it was to find scholarly articles on a subject. Being at BYU obviously helps, but even so, would have been really nice for other classes.

My topic is on the effect of internet use on social skills. One perspective is that over-use of the internet can lead to an addiction which leads to bad social skills, depression, and anxiety. Another keeps the claim that these things are connected, but argues that the bad social skills, depression, and anxiety lead to over-use of and addiction to the internet. Basically saying that people go to the internet as a crutch. A third perspective simply says that there is no causal link between the two at all. "Correlation does not mean causation" theory. I think I most agree with the first one and will most likely be the argument that I try to add to.

Division of whole into parts - I could explain what Internet Addiction Disorder (IAD) is and divide it into the symptoms associated and how each are influenced/caused by over-use of the internet

Antecedent and Consequence - "One consequence of the increased use of the internet is a increased occurrence of depression and lack of social skills among college aged people." Something like that.

Testimonial - I have a blog article written by a woman who claims that the internet has affected her social skills in a bad way. I could use that as an introduction.

Statistics - I have data showing the correlation of depression among young people to the amount of internet use. Mostly among college aged students.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the argument that the over-use of the Internet can lead to bad social skills. For example: chatting constantly on Facebook chat may negatively affect how one talks in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you too. My article is on texting and I think the way we communicate through new media really changes the way we communicate in person. However, I think that communication through new media is not bad -- only when over-used. And you mentioned that. I am interested in reading your papers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could use this as a testimonial, I don't really know. But, it's funny that this should be your topic because at one point, the best communication I had with my roommate was over facebook chat. We were even in the same room! haha

    ReplyDelete