Friday, October 30, 2009

Online Medical Services

Part 1. What is something in your research that has surprised you/was a “discovery” for you?
Part 2. What are 3 or 4 of the major perspectives on your topic/what main arguments are being made? What argument do you think that you might make about this topic?
Part 3. Consult with my presentation on the topics of invention (click on those words–it’s a link even though it’s hard to tell) and/or Writing and Rhetoric Chapter 6 (page 111-114). Choose 4 of the topics of invention and write 1-2 sentences for each on how you might use this topic of invention in your paper, making specific reference to your issue.

In researching background for my paper, I discovered a new term: e-patients. It is used in reference to those individuals who use online medical information for their health care needs.

Some people question the credibility of online medical information. They argue that clinical assistance is the more trustworthy source. Others express fears that a transfer to online health care will harm health care providers. Still others propose that online health care is the future of medical assistance.

Comparison by difference: I could use this topic of invention to contrast the pros and cons of online versus clinical health care information. I would then prove which is more desirable.

Division of Whole into Parts: I could use this topic of invention to explore the many ways that online medical information is used by e-patients and formulate an argument to prove its usefulness in today's society.

Authority: I could use this topic of invention to prove whether or not online medical information is credible by citing the opinions and statements of authority figures and trusted sources.

Testimonials: I could use this topic to prove whether or not online medical information is credible by relating people's first-hand experiences with it. I would need multiple stories and quotes that describe the individuals' experiences with online health care services.

4 comments:

  1. Katie, I think doing comparisons on clinical versus online medical information will really benefit your paper. Something to consider is the credibility of the doctors. We have all heard stories of when the doctors were wrong about something and it drastically changed the outcome of the patient's health. I think too-informed patients can also be detrimental to their own health because they think they know what's good for them and won't listen to what the the doctor has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool that you found a new term specific to your topic! I bet it makes searching for exactly what you want a lot easier. I think testimonials will be very effective in your paper. It will be interesting to read about specific individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Emily, because using comparisons will help the reader know the difference between clinical vs online. Personally I look online to see if I have the symptoms of something like an infected eye (or something) and how to treat it, but I think a doctor will be able to specify what it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the topic of your paper because it is talking about a fairly new concept, online medical diagnosis. I think if you can effective state the differences, advantages, and disadvantages of online medical help versus doctor visits, your paper will be a great sucess and an interesting subject to resd about.

    ReplyDelete