Friday, October 30, 2009

Discoveries in Research

1. Something that has surprised me or been new to me is that some people can go extremely overboard in the priority of using their cell phone. One article I read talked about how one lady was watching a broadway music concert, and made such a huge fuss that she caused the show to stop until she was done with her call. How absolutely ridiculous and unethical!!! What is this world coming to with this new media??? On the flip side, it has been extremely beneficial to the safety of society. In the same article, it said around 100,000 calls are made daily from the cell phone to 911 in attempts to save people's lives. New media definitely has its pros and cons.

2. My topic in new media I am writing about is texting. I am going to write about how texting has influenced individuals to speak and act, how texting has effected communication between groups of people, and how texting has changed society. The arguments that are being made include that texting has changed the way individuals speak and act, and not necessarily for the better. Texting has effected communication by short, concise, vague, and incomplete. Texting has also changed society by the way people view themselves and how they act as a community and society. Some of the arguments that I am going to make is the pros versus the cons of texting and how to find a good balance between each.

3. These are the topics of invention I will use and specific examples of how that will be executed:
A. Comparison By Difference: I will use this invention by showing the pros of texting (convenient, fast) and the cons of texting (rude, incomplete).
B. Division of Whole into Parts: I will show how texting has influenced individuals to speak and act differently, has effected communication between groups of people, and has changed the way society looks at themselves and each other.
C. Contradictions: Is texting good or bad? Is it both? Is it neither? There are both pros and cons to texting. I will write about how these contradictions can be balanced for a healthy individual, relationships, and society.
D. Testimonial: CONFESSION: I have been addicted to texting at a couple points in my life (lol jk - there's my evidence). I will use my own experiences from my hard-knocks way of life to show how texting has effected me personally, my relationship with my family and friends, and how it's changed my family as a whole, my school environment and more.

I think texting has a huge impact on the individual, relationships and society. In all honestly, I am kind of looking forward to doing the research and writing about this topic. I think it is really interesting, especially since it is a big part of my life.

2 comments:

  1. I agree texting has become a MAJOR part of society, I think you should also note the cost of texting because everyone I know usually has unlimited, if not the bill usually doesn't look to pretty. Also how it causes car accidents, because it is that addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa the other night my dad made all my sisters watch some movie on-line about a car accident. I'm not saying it's okay to do (even though I am guilty of doing it) but I find myself getting just as distracted eating or messing with my music...

    ReplyDelete