Saturday, October 3, 2009

Opinion Editorial Publishing Experience

My opinion editorial was about co-ed camping. I posted my paper in a note on facebook. I tagged people who are current students at BYU and also some friends back home who enjoy camping a lot. I thought it was interesting that the people who responded were those who enjoy camping the most (or just responded to be nice). The people who did respond are used to co-ed camping through a scouting group. If co-ed camping was not allowed where they come from, they would surely be very upset. But to people who don't care about camping, they don't really have an opinion on it. Someone also commented that co-ed camping was not encouraged by the church at all. This is something I hadn't thought of. If the church as a whole has an opinion on co-ed camping, then I might change my personal views. But I don't know the credibility of his statement, so that leads me to look it up and find a good source. I thought it was a god experience publishing my article. One person commented on my writing style; another mentioned all my grammatical errors. Overall, I am glad I published it!

3 comments:

  1. I know it's annoying to get feedback which heavily scrutinizes your argument or grammar. But I think it is helpful because it opens your eyes and allows you to realize there is always room for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It does hurt to criticize, but it's like discipline: you hate it in the moment, but love the results. It does open my eyes each time I am critiqued. It's humbling honestly. It helps me be a better writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Emily, criticism stinks but is great at the same time. also, did you every find where that's said, cuz i'm pretty sure that sounds like croc to me

    ReplyDelete