Sunday, October 4, 2009

Exercise contributes to American obesity?

I was very satisfied with my finished product, and had no problem sharing it with a few of my friends. I chose to "publish" in this way because as they read my piece, I would be able to experience their reactions firsthand. I observed the reaction that desired and expected from my audience. There was always an initial surprise after reading the title, which was my tactic in attempting to draw the reader in. Then more surprise after reading the introduction and thesis statement. Throughout the paper, however, surprise faded to understanding and acceptance.

I believe this shows that I effectively used rhetoric to influence my designated audience. Even my friends that are highly active ended up agreeing with my argument. Most of them said that it was a really interesting topic to read about.

It really did help me in reflection on my writing. It's one thing to consider your audience while writing and then see how they actually react when they read it. Also, I think I could have been more specific with my audience so that when reading the piece, they would feel that the text directly communicates to them as an individual.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you found that most of your readers ended up agreeing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Josh, it is a good feeling to know that you persuaded people with your text.

    ReplyDelete