Thursday, October 1, 2009

There's Hope

"There's hope; It doesn't cost a thing to smile; you don't have to pay to laugh. You better thank God for that." I thought of this song by Indie Arie when I looked on the new website from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The website is dedicated specifically to finding hope.

The audience is limitless. It doesn't take much of an argument to convince anyone of the tragic events and circumstances effecting the lives of individuals and families worldwide. Everyone needs hope. This website uses personal experiences through writing and video to connect with viewers. Using pathos for a topic such as hope gives viewers the feelings needed in order to move forward and realize success and joy are possible. Not only do viewers get to read examples of other viewers just like them, but also visualize and hear personal stories through video. Using both sight and hearing in different ways deepens pathos, creating hope.

www.lds.org/topic/hope/

5 comments:

  1. I like how they used video and words. Very effective and powerful. But I guess the church is pretty good at what it does... that whole being supported by the Spirit thing goes a long way in the persuasiveness area I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Kendrick... video, words, and the Spirit of our church help to impress the idea upon people that there is hope to be had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Kendrick, that it is essentially the Spirit that "persuades" people to turn unto faith and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kendrick as well, the church is good at making people feel better in some way with including Divine attributes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very true Kendrick. I forgot to mention that the majority of the audience would be members of the church. With that assumption, the spirit of the website content would be recognized and understood. And for some like me...bring tears. yes, I am a cry baby.

    ReplyDelete