Thursday, October 1, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls



I am analyzing a post titled "
Cinnamon Rolls 101" from the website http://thepioneerwoman.com/. The Pioneer Woman is a lady named Ree Drummond and she shares information about her life, recipes, photographs, and more on her website. I chose this particular article, about cinnamon rolls, because it is one of her older posts, published on June 1st 2007, and there are TONS of comments on it. In fact, it is ranked as the most popular recipe and the current total of comments is 681. This is perhaps because the her style of writing is inviting and playful and she includes statements like "Go forth and conquer! Yes you can. And report back to me."

The readers, of whom I'm sure there are many more in addition to those who make themselves known by leaving comments, like to give their kudos, ask questions specifying how to make the cinnamon rolls, and share their variations-- one commenter stated that she sprinkled some chopped walnuts on top of her cinnamon rolls. I think this kind of interaction is to be expected on a website where the creator shares intimate stories about her life and who says things like

"One of my favorite things about having this website is hearing from all of you. You tell me about your families and you share with me your hilarious stories, your recipes, your photos, and your life experiences. Your emails make me smile, cry, laugh, scratch my head, crawl under my coffee table, suck my thumb, and weep from deep, uncontrollable laughter. Seriously, folks. Your notes make my day. I read every single email and adore every single word.
That I’m unable to spend the time answering every emails is one of the things I like least about having this website. I want to sit and correspond with each of you, but that would leave zero time in my day to teach my kids school, cook, save my garden from vicious weeds, and of course, take photos and write contributions for this site each day."

How can the reader not feel loved or as though they have a special personal connection with this lady?

Her cinnamon roll post follows the pattern for all the other recipes, where there are many high quality photos that aid in outlining the steps of the recipe. These vivid visuals as well as the Pioneer Woman's descriptions draw the reader right into her kitchen.

5 comments:

  1. I like it when you get the chance to get a personal connection from writer to reader. It makes me enjoy the writing a lot more, plus recipes for yummy cinnamon rolls, sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Melissa. A personal connection with the writer would probably result in more responses from the reader, or at least more devoted readers. I think that if I had a personal connection, with comments and responses, I would be more willing to look up more recipes from this same lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how unique this is, and that you recognize that the audience can be influenced by something as simple as a webpage about cinamon rolls. And that the connection felt between reader and writer can be so close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So when are you going to bring these cinnamon rolls to class...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The website itself looks very homely and elegant. It seems quite family-oriented. It's difficult to have a good relationship between writer and it's great that she was able to establish that.

    ReplyDelete