Sunday, October 4, 2009

College: How Many Years?

My final paper turned out to be very different than my initial rough draft. I wrote to students, specifically those at BYU, about the diminishing value of a bachelors degree and how that affects us as students, but also what we can do to not be in school forever. As much as I didn't want to post it on facebook (since that is what the majority of us have done) it was the easiest way to reach my audience. I only posted a portion of it in hopes more people would read it if it were shorter and I tagged friends that were currently going to BYU or another university.

Since most are in love with facebook I received a lot of feedback. Some agreeing and others not. One friend was pretty harsh, but he's no longer my friend. No but really, it was good hearing what people thought. I was nervous and embarrassed at first, but quickly got over it. I guess being an English major I better quickly get over the fear of having others, besides Professors, read what I write. It definitely makes you want to try harder.

5 comments:

  1. I agree! I know that if someone of authority is going to see what I've done, I want to try extra hard to make it perfect! It's hard getting feedback that you don't want to hear - especially when it's a somewhat sensitive subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily (H), I agree with you... taking criticism can be tough. This was a cool assignment to help me get over that at least a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both Emily and Jessie. It is hardd to take criticism when it is something that you put your heart into. It almost can feel like a personal attack and nobody wants to put their work out there like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha I know what's like to be afraid of criticism. Most of the time I avoid emails and rebuttals for days until I get the courage to look at them. I'm even afraid of looking at the corrections Sister Cowley made on my paper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. People are always going to have their opinions and criticize. At least it helps you see what they think and what you can improve on your next text.

    ReplyDelete