Friday, October 2, 2009

Bridal Guide :)

http://bridalguide.byu.edu/bridal_guide/

The beautiful woman in a white dress and colored flowers immediately catches your eye as you walk by. You stop in the hallway and pause; you pick up the magazine and flip through it. Seconds later, you realize what you are doing and put the magazine down almost embarrassed.

There is so much emphasis on marriage right now. Returned missionaries, freshman girls - it's the hot topic! And almost everyone wants to get married so you can't help but be a victim of advertisement. In fact, my roommates picked up this edition of "Bridal Guide" just last week. We looked through it together and said what kind of dresses we would like, what style of ring, what wedding colors we would have. The magazine appeals to the audience from the very cover! I think the subject of the magazine is really what makes the relationship between the writer and the reader. The writer knows what engaged couples are looking for, (cake styles, photo shoots, best kind of ring, etc) so the write knows how to "manipulate" the audience. Each aspect of kairos is used: ethos is assumed because of the consistency and validity of the Daily Universe, pathos is used because marriage is on a lot of people's minds, and logos is used by showing the different kinds of dresses, what kind of cake style you would want a why, how to have a good wedding party, etc. I thought this magazine was interesting to me personally. Call me a victim of advertisement.

5 comments:

  1. I love how you wrote this :)
    I especially love the first paragraph :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true! I mean, I think that it is especially targeted for girls! Who doesn't want a pretty dress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. so funny. Just a few weeks ago my sister and cousin made their own wedding books with ideas for their own weddings. And no - neither of them have boyfriends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this because this summer I got so bored to the point where I actually picked up a bridal magazine at Walmart just because it had good ideas on how to save money...I am no where near marriage, but I figured why not look for cheap stuff I like now? haha

    Also, last year a friend of mine and I picked one of these up and found an article giving us 12 ways to be a better wife/husband. Needless to say we set up our own experiment to get our unsuspecting guy friends to do the things we wanted to, or be a "better wife" to them. BY FAR, one of the funniest things was seeing how some of the techniques actually worked! And we weren't even married to them...haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha Mindy that's awesome what you and your friend did. That would be hilarious to see.

    ReplyDelete